Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My dog is so smart.

We are back from a really great vacation. To all my family and friends out on the island, who made it great, especially my son Mike whom we kicked out of his bedroom and made sleep on the floor, a great big THANKS. Now on to the the title of my post.

My poor Roscoe was so happy to see us, and realize that there are people in the world who still love him and don't almost curse and sometimes do curse at him for anything he does. I may have to take him to a doggy doc so he can help him through the trauma of being with people who don't really know how to appreciate a dog like him. He may be getting over it already, it took almost a whole bag of snausages and another of puperoni treats, but I think he is getting better.

In his ever increasing need to improve himself, and satisfy his craving for old glue, we came home the other day and he had pretty much devoured a copy of Handbook on the Pentateuch. He left me a portion of the inside fly cover, here is what it said. " An introductory guide to the contents of the Pentateuch has long been needed. The Handbook on the Pentateuch will long meet that need. " It doesn't really sound that interesting, but then again it wasn't my book. Becky do you know what it was like? My dog does not discriminate though. The other day he pretty much devoured a novel about knights and dragons that was a pretty good read. Just like Roscoe, I couldn't finish it in one day either. The novel I had left laying around, but the Pentateuch, as you can probably guess, was not. So I went into the basement and sure enough there was an empty spot in the book shelf, about the right size for this text. Not sure what I am going to do, can't have him eating books every time I go out. He already doesn't eat his supper sometimes. Ah the trials of owning a dog. Still better than owning a filthy cat. Man I don't like cats.

29 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I think I would find that kind of book a little hard to digest. I think Roscoe should come back to BC with us. I don't have many books for him to eat, but I do have to ocean. He would love the ocean.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Toad said...

Hey, I took care of that dog. I even took him for walks and I would sit by him and pat his stupid tiny pee brain head so he would eat his supper cause he's too dumb to eat it alone. I also scooped his turds. He also choked on a bone and I had to give him mouth to mouth, saved him from a burning building and made him a steak supper.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I am sure Roscoe is glad you are home. Too bad he's developed a taste for books. Oscar did that when he was a puppy, and ate the corners off the paperbacks we left sitting on a bottom shelf of our end tables.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

That was a good book. Seriously. Mom would have liked it. Doggone that dog.

11:46 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

I agree that I like dogs better than cats too, although I did get rid of my dogs and I still have a cat. The only way to have a cat is to have it outside. That is where mine lives. You have way more patience than I do though. If I had a dog that wrecked stuff like that, I think it would have to find a new home. I am glad that you love your dog so much though. Good for you. It was also great to see you guys when you were out here. Wish it could have been longer. :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Toad said...

WHO VOTES ROSCO OUT OF THE FAMILY.....

RAISE YOUR HAND.

*RAISES HAND

12:36 PM  
Blogger Toad said...

AND TRAV....

WHO VOTES TRAV OUT?

RAISE YOUR HAND.

*RAISES HAND

HAR HAR HAR

12:37 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Heh heh.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I vote out Roscoe

*Raises two hands and feet too.*

But Trav can stay. He makes me look smart and classy.

Har har.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Toad said...

GOOD POINT....I RETRACT MY TRAV VOTE.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. Just so everyone knows. I love Trav. He's one of my favorite cousins. And not just cause he makes me look smart and classy.

6:27 PM  
Blogger John said...

All those who actually have a vote as to what happens in this house raise your hands. *raises hand.
By golly, I only see two hands up. Mine and your mothers. Guess you 2 know what you can do with those filthy animals that live in your houses, next time you come for a VISIT.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

yeah... i make everyone look smart and classy... it's 'cause i'm a redneck... somedays i think i'm even more redneck than my dad... and we all know how bad that is... oh... by the way... i'm telling grandma and grampa that you tried voting me out of the family :P

9:51 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Hmmmm... Since Ang now lives in a place where she can keep her cats and never brings them over any more I'm guessing he means me.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I love the comments on this post. Made me laugh. Hee hee.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Abe&Maggie said...

Hey since your dog ate the "Handbook to the Pentateuch" he should be smart enough to learn how to speak and he could lead a bible study on the laws and sacrafices of ancient Judiasm. By the way, we don't like cats very much either, other than as out-door mouse traps.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

we're the funniest family I know.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You guys all crack me up!!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude. This is awesome. Isn't it funny what animals will do? My cat is obsessed with ice cream, opens closed closet doors, paws open the cupboards and climbs in. He's a dork.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dog must begetting quite educated by now. May be you should consider putting him in th emovies. make your million and all that.
Love Sue

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dog must begetting quite educated by now. May be you should consider putting him in th emovies. make your million and all that.
Love Sue

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bet your surprized I could spell educated. Huh
Sue

3:08 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

hehehe... mom can spell educated, but she can't spell "the" hehehe... nice one mom... oh hey... i'm going to phone you right now... you'd better be home

4:39 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

well... you're home, but talking to uncle henry... i guess if you phone me back right away like you promised, i'll let the not spelling "the" properly slide... otherwise... watch out!!!


ps... i love you mom

4:41 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hey, atch the filthy cat comments!!!

Them thar is fightin' words. LOL

11:40 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Did not mean "atch" but watch. Apparantly my typing is going down hill the longer I type. Sheeeeeeeeeesh.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys all make me laugh so hard. I mean that in a good way.
Keep it up.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle John, if your dog is so smart, maybe you should get him to put up a new post for you, hey?!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I'm with Cindi, I think you could teach him to type in the time it's been between posts. Yipes. We miss you. Come back.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home