Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Summer has arrived.

It was sooo hot today. How hot was it, you ask? It was so hot that after work today I took my dog swimming and I went in with him. Just outside town, in the gravel pits, there is a hole in the gravel pits about the size of a soccer pitch, and only about 4 feet deep. At least that is the deepest I have found. After throwing Roscoe's stick for him a few times and seeing how happy the swim made him, I took off my shirt and jumped in, again. Oh yes, this is not the first time that I have gone swimming with my dog in the pits. The water is just barely cool enough to refresh you, and if you don't mind stepping around the odd bit of goose poop on your way to the water, it is a great swimming hole. Later on in the year the algae kind of takes over, so then we don't go in, at least I don't. Roscoe doesn't seem to mind. Although I have heard that he could get sick if he ingests a certain kind of algae, so we usually go somewhere else.
All in all I just don't care if people might find this a tad odd. When it hits 31 degrees, and I have been inside my trackmobile all day without airconditioning, and the sun scortches you from one side and on the other side the muffler is so close to the window that you can't touch the glass, and all this in a cab that is about 6 feet long, 4 feet wide and 5 feet high, I really could care less what that water looks like or who my swimming partner is. It just feels so good.
And if you can guess who my swimming partner was (besides Roscoe) last year, you will win a prize.

15 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

All I can say is I know who you DIDN'T swim with. Does that get me at least a half point? BTW good to talk to you today, and look forward to your visit in August. Also, we did update the shed and I do recall you saying that you would stay in the shed. If we add a bucket out there for a bathroom, will that be sufficient?

12:09 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I am guessing that your swimming partner was ...hmmm...Ang. She is so much like you I think she is crazy enough to do it. Sorry, Ang.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

It was 34 here yesterday. I unfortunately did not go swimming, though I did take a very cold shower, if that counts. Now I just need to figure out how to rig my laptop up so I can run the cable from the window to our pool and then I can work from a lawn chair instead of this scorching little office. We have AC but it's way down the hall and just doesn't make it here, even with two fans rigged up to propel the air down this way. Ah well, I like the image of a grandpa going swimming with his dog.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oooo! Ooooo! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oh yeah...

ANG? That is not a very good guess for two reasons:

1 Swimming in the dugout would interrupt her tanning and "looking cute in her new bikini" time.

2 She can't swim.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its true.

i don't swim in sludge. its just not my bag.

also can't swim. and i do like to tan....but i don't lok cute doing it.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Yes you do.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Ok. It was Ben. He would do anything with his Grandpa, and I will admit it, I read his blog and saw a picture. So doea kind of cheating still get me all the marbles?

8:31 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

If you can run 19 miles in the gym, or anywhere, and can work out for three hours, you look nice in a bikini. Get over it.
I went to the gym three times last week, and worked my little butt off (not literally - unfortunately) and I'm already thinking I look pretty great now that I have...you're an inspiration to all us, bikini aspiring girls Ang.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Why doesn't anyone guess it was me? I would have thought that was so obvious. So no prize for you since Ben didn't swim.

1:27 PM  
Blogger John said...

A couple of things. Carol, what the heck is btw? And no Margaret, you don't get half a prize, you get a big fat goose egg.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

John,
BTW = By the way. Sorry, old habits die hard.

1:28 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

So glad to hear that you can go swimming with your dog. I know our goldens always loved to swim. One morning we went outside and actually caught two of them in our swimming pool. Not that great as they lose a ton of hair in there but once they discovered it, we couldn't keep them out.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like fun. When it's hot, you do what you can to cool off. :)

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. mercedes c36 amg mcse Larger doses of concerta Ponds acne spots Credit card payment web design page Downloadable mcse video Cosmetic surgeons in the state of connecticut canon gl2 digital camcorder Divorce records portsmouth virginia Wholesale lg refrigerator Lexapro sexual sideeffects Sports court templates web cam

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home