Friday, May 19, 2006

Drugs rule

I heard today that the Toronto Argonauts are trying to sign Ricky Williams, of the Miami Dolphins. Some of you who read this may be asking, who's that. Mel knows, right Mel? I will tell those of you who may not follow sports. Ricky Williams was the Heisman trophy winner in 1998, played 6 years in the NFL, and played well I might add, and out of those 6 years was tested positive four times for substance abuse. Last month the NFL suspended him for one year and he is now subject to up to 10 random tests a month and must remain under the supervision of a medical adviser. I don't have a problem with giving someone another chance, but the NFL saw fit to suspend him for a year and now the Argos want to bring him here and showcase his running abilities. Trust me, Ricky would never come here if he was allowed to play in the NFL, and if he does play up here it will only be for the year he is under suspension. This action by the Argos really bothers me. We are telling our young people who are in sports that the only way to win is if you are on the juice. I don't know what he was taking, it might have been pot, or cocaine, or whatever, but most likely steroids. I am first of all shocked that the CFL would allow this, but mostly upset that the Argos are trying this.
Did you know that there were about 12 cases of substance abuse in the minors of baseball in 05, and out of those most were pitchers. Everybody pretty much knows that Barry Bonds was or is using steroids, it just needs to be proven yet. But as tests get better so do the methods of blocking those tests. I have heard media people justify his drug use by saying that he may have taken drugs but that was before baseball made it illegal. What a load of crap. Here we are, waiting with baited breath for the day that Bonds hits the home run that will surpass the Babe's record, and he did it by cheating. Bonds would have been a dominant player in baseball without the drugs, but he would not have passed Babe Ruth for home runs. And that is the sad part of this. I must prove that I am better than the next guy, I will be the best at all costs, even if it costs me my health.
Toronto president Keith Pelley said, and I quote, "It is absolutely crucial that before we would proceed with Ricky Williams that he is prepared to be absolutely clean and more importantly, educate the youth of Toronto to say no to drugs." Mr Pelley, I say this to you, if you proceed with this, you have already educated the youth of Toronto and all those who would like to play major sports. We must win the Grey Cup, we must be the best at all cost, regardless of what we have to do to get there. Shame on you and your organization.
Now I must go do my mother-in-laws taxes before they through her in jail.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Yes, Uncle John, I'm well familiar with Ricky Williams. His drug tests show that basically, he's just a pothead. The worst part is, that he used to joke about it. The only reason Ricky Williams would 'say no to drugs' is because it may lose him the big salary that allows him to fly all over the world to countries like India to 'expand his mind'. He is unfortunately, a hippie who can run the ball. But hey, Canada's pretty okay with pot anyway right?

Oh, and Peter gave a hearty "AMEN!" to your words on baseball. We agree wholeheartedly. Shame on Canada...again.

10:24 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

I know nothing about sports, nor do I want to. (sorry to all you sports fans out there) The drug thing is a real problem though and here in BC it is quite tolerated. The kids do it right on the beach in broad daylight and right out in the open. No one says a thing. Ken and I were even offered some one evening when we were trying to enjoy a nice evening walk. I hate to think of what drugs will be like when Luke goes to school. It scares me to death.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

The sad thing is that the people in a position to influence our children do it and make it seem quite acceptable so it is so much more difficult to teach our children that it is not OK. I agree. Shame on Canada.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I don't agree with the sports figures getting to where they are by using drugs of any kind.

I heard from a neighbor the other day, that our shed in the back yard, when the house was vacant, was a place where the kids got together to sell their drugs. And I even have proof, while staining the shed at the back, I painted over something written on the wall....... "Hi, I got high!"
Who knew our little shed was a haven for the neighborhood druggies!!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home