Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The runaway freight train called my waist size

The nachos, salsa, cheese dip and a cold pepsi are calling me. The other day I was at church, getting some things ready for our up and coming Missions Conference. While the paint was drying, I looked at some photo albums that were done up for the churches anniversary. I ran across some old photos of me and I hardly recognized that skinny runt of a man.
We are back on the soup again. Last time we only made it a week and didn't only fall off the wagon, we took a running start and jumped off. So now we are not going to stick to it real strict, but are going to allow ourselves some decent food as well. This of course does not include nachos and pepsi. Nor does it include other kind of junk. So we will cut out the crap and still eat a bit of decent food. And maybe by the summer I will once again fit that speedo swimsuit that I have been saving. I can almost see myself,,,,,, all fit and tanned showing off my six pack, walking down the beach. Instead of white and fat, laying on the beach waiting for some green peace animal lover to come along and try to save my life by pushing me back into the water. Okay maybe the part with the speedo and tanned thing may never happen again, but sometimes I get afraid about the whale image. I watched a program the other day about a guy who weighed about 500 lbs, went on a diet, lost about 340 lbs, did all kinds of speaking tours and was the envy of all. Forget how long it lasted but he got back up to 700 lbs. He ate 2 dozen hot dogs for lunch or maybe 15 or 16 pork chops. He lost some weight but was still around 400 pounds when they did the tv program. I am a long way from that, but without some serious work on my part, this expanse around my middle is just going to keep growing.
Margaret, you inspired me. If you can go on a diet and lose a swack of weight, I believe I can as well. So here's to celery, carrot sticks, low fat cheese....yech!

10 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

You can do it! Then, once you've done it and weigh less than I do, you will be my motivation to lose my own weight... BECAUSE I CANNOT WEIGH MORE THAN MY DAD! So lose a whole crap load, and force me to do the same!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

That posted 3 times... I'm not sure why... You can delete my "comment deleted" comments if you like... Or leave them on... Hey Johnny... Are you LOVING my use of Ellipsisesess? (Ellipsi?)

9:53 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

wow... i'm glad you clarified about the speedo bit... otherwise i was seriously hoping it would be a very remote beach in a very remote part of the world... very, very, very..... very, very, very far away from me ;)

4:32 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I would rather quit smoking again than try to lose weight. (Of course that would mean I would have to start smoking... yeach) I have gained back about 10 or 12 pounds over this very wet winter so now I am doing my wonderful South Beach diet again. Starting April 1st. I want to lose another 45 - 50 pounds before we come out to Sask....if we come out to Sask. You can do it John. I have every confidence. It's so hard, but it feels so good when you go from a size 24 to a size 16. Now I need to get to a size 12 or maybe even a 10. Hey, it's my dream and I'll tell it like I want it.

8:24 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

Way to go John!! I don't know what kind of soup you eat but is that all you eat? I have also tried the south beach and find that for me that is the easiest because I love veggies and am not a big sweet person. I think it's different for everyone. You have to find what works.
I agree with Trav on the speedo thing. VERY glad you clarified that :) The other day we were at the pool and we saw a guy with a speedo. He was quite overwieght and about 75. Not a pretty sight. They are still very hip with the British. (but they always were a bit weird)

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello John (Haunse)
You go brother. I am doing the same thing. Trying to lose weight mostly for health reasons but also to feel better and not be quite so embarrassed when I look in a mirror. We all have so much to live for and we can find our motivation in many different areas. Take care John.
Love your brother Jake

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Jake!!!! Hi! I love you and miss you!!!


About the diet thing...Mom, Trevor and I started the South Beach diet almost 2 weeks ago and Trevor has lost a pant size, Mom has lost 8 lbs(I think) and by Sunday I had lost 9. It really works good. Maybe you should try it Uncle John. You still get to eat meat everyday with this one!!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yep, the Sout Beach diet did work. Art and I tried it too, and so did our boys. We did stick with it, as there are 3 stages, and we got to the 3rd stage ( I think). I did notice a difference, and the loss tends to mostly show in the "middle area". But I also like what it tells you about how your body deals with the foods you eat.

But you have to find what works for you, and then stick to it.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The south beach diet was the worst two weeks of my life. Nah, I'm being dramatic, but it wasn't a lot of fun. Payoff is good though. I lost about 12 lbs... I should start again. Good luck with the diet Uncle John.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

Oh no! NOT the soup. ANYTHING but the soup. I remember the soup. I am having flashbacks. But I wish you all the best in it. Enjoy the baked potato.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home