Saturday, February 25, 2006

How to turn a decent steak into boot leather.

Chris and I are back on the soup diet. If you saw me, you wouldn't have to ask why. You eat this really good tasting vegetable soup three times a day and it not only cleanses your insides, you lose weight. By Wednesday that soup is just nasty. The only good thing is that every day you get to add stuff to the soup diet. Monday vegetables, Tuesday a potatoe, wednesday bananas, thursday fruit, friday I don't remember and glorious Saturday all the beef you want. So tonite I put this steak on the barbeque. Not a fillet mignon but not a blade or round steak either. Then I did the one thing I should never do. I came downstairs, fired up the computer and started to check and comment on all the blogs I visit. It was while I was on Shirleys blog that my wife called down and asked how the steak was doing. I was having a really good time up to that point. But I deflated faster than the Canadian mens hockey teams dreams of a gold medal did.
At this point I am still trying to chew this burnt offering, but it is not at all what I dreamt it would be like. The only reason it is not completely inedible is that when I opened up the lid on the barbeque, the propane in my tank had all but burned away. Tomorrow is another meat day and even if I freeze my extemities I am staying outside until it is done. I am so easily distracted from the task at hand sometimes that I think I could still be a teenager, and then I see a mirror and realize that I just distract easily. If I could reach my butt I'd kick it. And no Trav, I don't want you to bring over your new boots.

8 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I've heard of that diet. Personally, I'd rather do my South Beach Diet. I haven't been able to afford to stay on it lately, but when I do I lose weight quite successfully. I went on it last Jan. and have lost a total of about 95 pounds. Granted, I walk a lot too. I walk about 5 kms 3-4 times a week. Anyway, I wish you the best with your diet and that idea you had on my blog about having Dad's b'day here ... yahooo!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

I feel a little responsible for the leather-like steak. Was I too long winded?

I remember that diet. The amazing soup that so quickly turned horrific. Though I do remember that baked potato being the best thing that I had ever eaten.

5:02 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

Diets really suck. I love salad and I love my vegies but when that is all you can have, it gets old real fast. And now summer is coming and those back yard fires and yummy smokies and all things wonderful that are bad for you, (except the walking part which I am REALLY looking forward to again)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when Kyle (my boyfriend) and I tried our diet, which was kinda like South Beach, but we modified it... I lost a bit of weight, but it's expensive, because all we ate was meat and fruit and vegetables... I want to start doing that again, too...

Well, enjoy your soup...

3:52 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

Oh about having Dad's birthday here in the summer, that would be great as long as Dad is still able to fly. Jake and Colleen are going to be out there anyway at the end of July for a week. We can also come out there then I think. If we are trying to get ALL of our immediate family together one more time then it may be easier to do it there since more grandchildren are out there. (I think). i don't really care where it is but if we do a big thing for him, I am sure that some other extended family may want to come and then it would make more sense to do it there. But the end of July begining of Aug would be a great weekend for most of us.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

i agree with auntie mitz

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything about Auntie Mitz's sugggestion works for us except the beginning of August part as we will have just moved to Winnipeg. But the end of July works

9:43 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

John,

Art does that at times too. IT does not take long to turn something into charcoal when you walk away from it. I can still picture Art in our back yard in Osler in the middle of Feb, smoke billowing out of the little shed in the back and Art out there with his BBq in the shed, with only the door open. He loves BBQ, no matter what time of the year.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home