Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The city photographer

The city of Saskatoon wants me to pay them $220.00 for this photograph of my car. I realize that there are 4 photos, so the cost is only $55.00 / picture, but really, do you think the quality is okay, or should I ask for a retake.

Yes I got caught running the red light, but I think the cost should be shared by my son's. They were in the car with me and talking to me. If I would have been alone I would have been paying attention to my driving and would have stopped. What do you think?
What really sort of picqued my interest on here was the last paragraph, "as the owner of this vehicle, you are legally responsible for the manner in which it is driven." Nevermind that I may not have been driving the car that day, the car is registered to me and that is all they need to make me legally responsible for the way it is driven. I suppose the only way I would be able to get out of it was if I could prove that it was stolen. Anyway, if I have a minor child, and this child causes damage to someone or thing, regardless of the amount, I am not legally responsible for any of the costs associated with this childs delinquent behavior. He or she can run around, do thousands of dollars worth of damage to peoples property and because this brat is a minor, the law can't touch him and they can n0t come after me for the costs. There are people who are trying to make this into law, but there is a lot of opposition to it.
Why should I not be responsible for little Johnny? I brought him into this world, I create the enviroment he has to grow up in, I teach him right from wrong, hopefully, I put down the footprints that he will follow. I can make his life a living hell as he grows up, so that he has almost no chance to grow up with a decent set of values, and if he brakes the law continuesly, as he grows up, the young offenders law, will do nothing to him or me until he becomes an adult, and then he is on his own. But I get off scott free. But only in this world. A time is coming when I and everyone that has ever had a child will have to answer for the way in which we brought up our children. I think God is going to want an accounting of all the things I did, taught and said to that little soul that he entrusted to me. In some ways this is a bit scary and I wonder why I let myself in for this, but the rewards when you see your children grown and starting familys of their own are huge beyond compare. We all do stupid things, as evidence points to in the photo, but we have a loving God who just longs to help us and give us the tools we need to raise these little souls to become the men and women that He envisioned when he entrusted them to us.
Now if only He could make that ticket that accompanied this photo disappear.

9 Comments:

Blogger footsack said...

Now that I zoomed in on your picture I can see why your ticket was $220. You ran a red light!! I thought you were just speeding. That explains it.
I am glad we have a forgiving God who doesn't take pictures of all the wrong we did and mail it to us. My box would be overflowing. Kids are such a blessing but right now one is causing me more heartache than I've ever experienced. She is still a huge blessing to me but I ache with the helplessness of trying to protect her and keep her safe. Aunt Lena had a saying that went like this... 'when kids are young they are a weight on your lap and when they get older, they are a weight on your heart. My heart feels like it is crushed.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Good post Dad.

We're all praying Auntie Mitz.

Love you both.

9:13 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

Thanks, you have no idea how much I need that right now.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great post Uncle John. I once got two of these, not for the red light, but for speeding, leaving work in Edmonton. The pictures came about 3 months apart, and looked exactly the same. I think they just recycled, and being a tree hugger, I'm okay with that. I sped on that road all the time. I'm glad too that God isn't mailing me pictures of my mistakes. As for raising your kids right, I'm proud of you mom - you did a great job. Everyone knew it. My friends, all us kids, your parents... Your're an awesome mom, and we appreciate you. And those of us who don't quite yet, will very soon. I love you. This is a great family.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Trav said...

i think that you should complain... $220 is an insane amount of money for 4 poor quality pictures, plus, you were only there for 20 seconds tops... that's outrageous... tell them you'll give them a fiver

4:08 AM  
Blogger Trav said...

that would rock

1:38 PM  
Blogger John said...

Okay all you smart guys. What do I do now, the deadline for voluntary payment was on the 26, it is now the 27, if I send the money now will I be okay or is it to late?

7:41 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

No just send the money. They will gladly accept it even if it's late. I used to do that all the time. It worked in Alberta.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a picture of the money is a fantastic idea. Maybe send a cheque the next day, to avoid the court date. Here if you don't pay a ticket, the advertise your name on late night TV, so that everyone who knows you (and has the time to watch nothing but names scrolling across the screen to elevator music at 3am) will then know that you have a bench warrant out for you. It's silly. Weird - Peter just walked up and gave me 20 dollars for being sweet. These Americans are strange - I'm telling you.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home