Sunday, January 01, 2006

Christmas celebration is done but not the calories

No I did not die or anything like that, I have just had better things to do. Today Chris and I cleaned up all the decorations, packed away the ornaments and the tree and said goodbye to another wonderful Christmas. Mike went back to BC yesterday, Jonathan, Melissa and Noah will leave tomorrow, probably evening so that Noah will sleep most of the way, and Glen, Becky and Ben will leave on Tuesday or Wednesday. After that it will be just Chris, me and roscoe. I thought that as my kids got older Christmas wouldn't be as much fun, and in a way I guess it wasn't, but it was always good. But I have to say that small children do add a special touch to the holidays. Being able to hold either of these to boys of mine while they fall asleep or just take a break and sit on you is so great that words fail me. I will miss them immensly while they are gone. I should at least get to see Ben on a fairly regular basis but Noah is all the way in Winnipeg and you can't go that far as often. Oh well, whats a grandpa to do.
To all my extended family, I miss you more at this time of year than any other. Hope you all have a great new year and hope to see you all in the summer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I am happy to hear you had such a wonderful time with your family. I can see you sitting in your recliner with one of you grandsons sleeping in your arms, and your head lolling to the side: just like your father. I was supposed to have Allysyn and Dusty here for the holidays, but something happened and they couldn't make it. It was disappointing, but we still had a very nice holiday. Give everyone there our best wishes for the New Year. Kepp us up dated for the possibility of Dad's 80th this summer.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging Uncle John, I was starting to feel like I was in some kind of void, and now I have a reason to ignore my e mails for a few minutes. I got to spend Christmas with my niece (she's 3) and it really does add something to the holidays. She's a hillarious little girl, and everyone seems younger when she's around. I miss all my extended family too, it's strange to be in a place with no roots, no one who's known you for more than 2 years, not even Peter. We're doing really well though, and I'm luckier than I ever thought I could be, you sound like you feel the same. It's a nice feeling...I miss you, love you, and would love to make the trip in the summer.

10:57 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

I agree..kids make Christmas. Every year our kids beg to stay in bed later and later. Before they used to wake us up at 5 am and now Ken and I are the first to get up and then we sit and wait for the kids. It makes me long for the days when they were young and so excited....well maybe not quite. I do miss those days but I have a lot of video to look back on those days and...sigh..

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home