Sunday, January 22, 2006

The airport saga continues

So this is the beauracratic response I got from CATSA. I also got a note requesting the time mom and dad went through security in Edmonton. Mitz supplied all this so I sent away another note. Their note is in yellow, mine in red.

Thank you for your e-mail of January 9, 2006 (it is copied below so that our Lead for the Prairie area can be aware of the details related to your complaint). Sorry for the delay in responding to you.

The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) plays an integral role in the Government of Canada’s air security initiative. CATSA’s mission is to protect the public by securing critical elements of the air transportation system, including the screening of passengers and their belongings. Its mandate is to deliver a consistent, effective and highly professional service that is set at or above the standards established by federal regulations.

While security is CATSA’s top priority, please be assured that customer service is one of its main priorities in the delivery of security screening for air travel. Screening officers are trained to ensure that passengers are treated with respect and dignity at all times, while ensuring their comfort and safety. I regret that the experience that your parents had with pre-board screening at the Edmonton airport was unpleasant.



Here is the information on my parents flight on Dec 3. I talked to my father and he mentioned that it was a bit embarrassing to be grilled by security when other people were just walking through without a problem. He was made to feel guilty without ever having done anything to warrant this type of harassment. I mentioned to Caroline Mitchell that I was not at all interested in hearing the form letter response, about how this kid was doing his job, and security played an integral part in the safety of all Canadians and a bunch of other bureaucratic gibberish, I am still not interested. There is nothing you can say to make me believe that this was anything but harassment. If you or anybody else,,, were to talk to my father and mother you would instantly see that the publics safety was never at risk with my parents, and this was only a case of someone with a bit of power, who went completely overboard and made an otherwise pleasant trip, unpleasant at the end of it.

Now we will see what kind of response we get. I wanted to tell him that if we did not get the right response my family was going to come from all over north america and heap all kinds of abuse on this kid, worse than he did to the patriarch of our family. But I didn't, we will keep that a surprise. Anyways, when I hear something, I will let you all know.

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I wonder if the news would be interested in this human interest story...

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

Yep, a pretty generic letter you got from CATSA. I am not even surprised, considering I USED to be a CATSA employee (who worked at the Edmonton Airport.)

In regards to the canes we were trained to give them a twist, as there could be a possibility of someone hiding something in them. But let me tell you, as a Pre-board screener, I was taught that you firstly ask the passenger if they are able to walk through the "walk through metal detector" without the aid of the cane. If the passenger was able, then we would have them go through, and then just quickly run the cane through the x-ray machine. If the passenger was unable to walk without the cane, then we allowed them to go through the "walk-through", and then had them wait on the other side, so the cane could quickly be put through the x-ray machine.

To have the screener say he had to break the cane is absolutely incredible. You should let me know if you need help with your letters to CATSA. You can certainly let them know that one of your family members was a screener, (and also Supervisor) who would have had the cane quickly x-rayed, and the passenger on his way.

Carol

11:52 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

I think the news may be interested in it. It's worth a shot. I'm ready for heaping some abuse that is for sure. Haven't had a good fight in a while. :)

12:40 AM  
Blogger Trav said...

if we're going to heap some abuse, i definately want in on that... but can we carpool? gas prices are still absurd... i know... maybe we should fly :P

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes i can't believe how proud I am to be a member of this family...

1:58 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah Becky, I think this might make a good story. If the answer from CATSA is not satisfactory, we are going to try a news source next. Unless you think I should go there now. Trav, your vote is already in, I know how you would vote.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I for one would like to see something, other than a form letter of apology, be done about this. If the media is the way to go, then lets go.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home