Sunday, April 09, 2006

My Saturday

I got up about 6 on Sat. And decided I better clean up all the little deposits that Roscoe left in my yard this winter, and that I was either to lazy to pick up when they fell or I wasn't there when it happened. There was a lot, took me an hour.
Cleaned up and had breakfast after that and Chris decided we should go to town and get some paint to fix the basement stair area. Got home and started to do wall repairs before painting and realized that I had left my drywall mud, that says "keep from freezing" in the garage all winter. It was hard and kinda dry. I'm still having a good day, cause the sun is shining and it is mild out. I went to Steve's hardware to get more mud, and when I turned to leave, I looked out the door and there went my car, just turning out of the lot onto the street. I yelled at Steve, "someone's stealing my car" and went outside. I had the thought that someone who knew me was pranking me and would turn into the lot at the grocery store. I mostly leave my keys in the car in Martensville, and I would like to say I won't do it again, but those who know me would call me on it right away, so I won't go there. Anyways when my car passed the store and kept going, I realized that maybe some slimeball was actually taking my car. If I would not have let a woman in front of me in the Hardware store, I would have stepped out of the store at the time the guy was getting into my car, and I could have hit him with my pail of mud. Steve told me to take his truck and follow him, but by the time I got his keys, yelled the license plate number at him, and took off the guy was just at the outskirts of town. Now because it was such a nice day everyone in Martensville was out driving and there was a really slow person in front of me, so when I finally reached the corner where you turn to either highway 12 or highway 11, the idiot in my car was out of sight and I didn't know which way to turn. I turned around dejectedly and went back to town. When I got to Steves he was still on the phone to the police so I gave them a description of the vehicle and as I hung up the phone the cop went flying by with lights in hot pursuit, as they say, but he called me back in about an hour with news that he had missed him. The cop came to my house and took a statement, and told me it was probably someone hitching on the highway, got tired of walking and decided to come into town to see if he could find some wheels. He also told me not to expect a positive end to this saga, because if they even found the car, it would probably end up on some reserve, parked in a bush, completely destroyed. He also told me it might be a good idea to change all my locks as all my keys were on the same key chain. So as I'm kicking myself for being so trusting and polite (letting the woman pay before me) I put all my painting stuff away and take all my locks off the house and garage to get them rekeyed. Thankfully I didn't have to buy new locks. I still have to reprogram my garage door opener, for now I just unplugged it.

Now the somewhat good news.

About 4 hours after the scumbag stole my car, the cops phone to tell me they found it. It was in the ditch, completely waterlogged and stuck, on a country road about 40 or 50 kilometers north of town. It was facing south so the cops don't know what he was doing. I don't know how much damage was done to the car, it was sitting in water, but only up to the bottom of the door. The keys were gone, so I am glad I changed my locks, side note to my kids, throw away all the keys you have to my house, you can't get in anymore. The cop said he would call me tomorrow with the location of my car. They want to keep it for a day or two so they can check for fingerprints. Side note to justice system. If this guy is caught, after the all the great work by the police, why don't you do something with the power you have been given instead of asking him politely not to do it again, and then turning him lose on the people who pay your salary you useless bunch of judges. Thanks Oscar. I won't know for a few days what my car is like. The cops say, by the tracks in the ditch, the guy purposely drove in there and kept going till the engine got that wet or the car got stuck. I am going to talk to SGI on Monday and find out my options, there could be something wrong with my car that won't show up for a month or year and then I am out that repair bill as well. The year before I put a new tranny in it and last year a motor, and now I could be left with a car that will again need major repairs. I am just so chocked.
If they do catch this guy they ought to take his welfare check from him and put it away to pay for any future repair bills on my car. But nothing will happen. He will get a slap on the hand and I will be left with a possible huge repair bill. Is there any wonder there is insurance fraud.
Anyways, that was my Saturday, how was yours?

10 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

We had a good Saturday, I can't deny it, except for the very frequent moments when we remembered some jerk stole our dad's car and then the nausea and anger came flooding back. Thinking of some guy having a party driving my harworking dad's car around through ditches really makes me want to... I won't say, but it isn't pretty... PLUS the fact that I've seen you go out of your way to be kind to people like this on numerous occasions... PLUS the fact that I agree with you and think if there is any kind of trial it will be a farce... Grrrrr.

I'm not sure if this will make me or you feel any better, but there was this other guy I know who was nothing but loving to the people around him and all he got in return was a farce of a trial and a trip to Golgotha...

9:43 AM  
Blogger John said...

Sad to say, I am not in His league. I still want to hurt the guy who took it. Gotta look for those footprints again.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your car, John. I agree with you, though. I would like to see tougher laws in place for many things, but we probably will never see "justice" in crimes of any kind. We have a "legal" system, but not a "justice" system. If they had found the car in front of a hospital you would think maybe the guy had an emergency, but now all you feel like doing is giving him need of an emergency room.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, NO!! That's awful, Uncle John... I'm so sorry... I can't believe that you just saw your car drive away like that... I don't understand how people can just take things from other people without thinking about the consequences, or feeling guilty, or how they would feel if it was their car that got stolen instead of the other way around... People are just nasty... I hope that everything works out, but unfortunately, it may not... Our "legal" system is all just a big joke... I wish you the best, nonetheless!!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Wow - I'm really sorry. And I was just about to write on my blog about my wonderful weekend, and now I'll feel like a dork. Don't look at my blog for a few days okay? I'm praying for a little justice in your life. Love you!

10:42 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

Boy, and I thought my Saturday was crap. I won't complain. Although some days I do wish that someone would steal my car and drive it into the ocean, maybe I will just try selling it instead.
Can't you refuse your vehicle back if it's been stolen?? I thought if you did that SGI had to pay you out for it. Anyway, I hope it all works out for you.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray everything works out.
Hope you get some new, refurbished, or new to you wheels soon.
Mary K.
P.S.
Family reunion on August 4,5,&6, 2006
Call your mom and dad for details.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Boy, some people just have no sense of right and wrong. I do have to say that I have learned to never leave my keys in the car. Althought I do know when you are from a small town, you feel you can be trusting.

I always thought that living in Osler would be a safe place for the kids to grow up. Little did I know that there would be a pervert hanging around the school yard. Yikes!! Sorry to hear about your car, and like Mitz said, I would refuse to take it back, and have them write it off if possible.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I told Art about your car being stolen. If it has been stolen, unless things have changed drastically there in the last few years, I would refuse to take it back.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pervert in the school yard?? I never heard about such things...

I've just come to the conclusion that no where is really "safe", no matter what... It can be safer than other places, but you can never get away from the creepers...

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home