Wednesday, July 04, 2007

#68

Yesterday I had cream of wheat for breakfast. Stop! I know right now you want to leave this site because that is just not the way to start an interesting bit of reading. You are thinking, "oh Johnny, you are living on the edge, what an exciting life you live". Okay, truthfully, this is not going to be a very exciting post, but that is all that is floating around in my head right now, so I must put it down here or it will forever take up space in my head and I don't have a lot to spare. Back to the cream of wheat. While I was making it, this memory came flooding back to me of someone else who has probably made more cream of wheat then anyone else in the world. My Aunt Sarah from Taber Alta. I think made cream of wheat for my Uncle John every morning of his life. I remember going there as a kid and even then I seldom slept in, so if I was awake I would go to the kitchen and she would be making cream of wheat. She would make some for me as well, and you know what, it was never lumpy, or too thick, or too thin. It's hard to make cream of wheat just right. Oh man, my dumb dog just farted. You would think he had chili for supper.
You know, I don't think its so much the whole cream of wheat thing, but the fact that she is gone and I really do miss her. Most of my aunts and uncles have passed away, and that means that on this side of the Jordan I won't be able to visit with them again, ever. The good thing is, that my extended family, cousins, uncles, aunts were and are mostly believers, so there will be a marvelous reunion when we all meet in heaven. And I will ask my aunt Sarah how she always made a successful pot of cream of wheat.

14 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I loved her cream of wheat. John, if I can I will make you a perfect pot of Cream of Wheat when i come to Sask next week. You see, I asked her one day when I visited there, how she made it so creamy and she showed me. Now I make cream of wheat that even I like eating. I might even be coaxed to share this information with you.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

What the hoink! Now that everybody is on facebook, does nobody even read blogs? I'm not the quickest at writing new posts, but I still check my blogs at least once a day.

6:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

I can now make great cream of wheat, but before this there were a few that went to feeding Roscoe. He was quite happy that I was failing. Yea your right Margaret, I don't think anyone comes here anymore.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Toad said...

i come here.

cream of wheat is gross no matter how it's made.

i love you anyways.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I still read blogs. I just haven't had the time or energy to comment or to do a post. I think I used to like cream of wheat, then one day I had to eat it burnt. GROSS!!! i cried and gagged through the whole tragic ordeal and I don't think a spoonful of that nasty stuff has passed these lips since. I hope you enjoy and that it does whatever good thing it is supposed to do for you.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love a good bowl of cream of wheat, although I don't think I have had any since I was a kid. I am going to have to give it a try soon.

5:25 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

I haven't tried that stuff for years. The last time I remember anything about it was years ago I gave the kids some for breakfast and then we went somewhere. Robyn was a little thing still in a car seat, maybe Luke's age and Shawn was sitting on the floor in front of her and she got sick all over his head. We were at a rest area, I think Radison. Have you ever tried to wipe up cream of wheat with a napkin out of a kids hair. That was gross! Especially since it had already been in her stomach for a good hour. I don't know if I ever made it again.
I do come to check blogs all the time. Unfortunately work is cutting into my time a lot but I still come here first.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yuk, used cream of wheat in a kid's hair. Gross!!!

2:13 PM  
Blogger John said...

Did the kids hair turn out to be smooth and shiny after. Maybe there is something to doing hair with used cream of wheat. Maybe you found the best hair conditioner in the industry and didn't even know it.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come here almost every single day.
I've never been to facebook and don't have any addresses to visit at facebook, so I never go there.
M.K.

2:43 AM  
Blogger Toad said...

I READ ON FACEBOOK THAT YOU WERE BORED. SO I CAME HERE THINKING THAT YOU POSTED SOMETHING. SIGH. NOT.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

OK John, It's is seriously time for a new post. I check this all the time.

I hate cream of wheat.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

btw today is August 22nd, 2007.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, I hear from my sources that you are home, and have been since Monday. Tisk tisk. *waves finger at you menacingly* Frankly, I'm just a bit disappointed in you, young man. *shakes head*


Slacker.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home