Monday, May 28, 2007

My chicken dog

My son's have been working on our deck, making half of it closed in with screen and lattice like a gazebo. It was already roofed a number of years ago, so they are just closing in the walls. I say just, like there is nothing to it, and for me there isn't. I lay on our porch swing and read and the boys work. I think Johnny's done most of it and he has done a great job. It looks really good and when he is done we will be able to sit out there without worrying about those pesky bugs. When they put the screen on, they use the stapler and the sudden snap of the stapler lifts my dogs head, and he is alert. He can be sleeping and he hears that first snap. If it is closely followed by numerous other snaps from the working stapler he will get up and find a place close to me or Chris or Angie (she was here yesterday) and attempt to hide. We can usually get him to stop being such an idiot and lay down on the deck somewhere. But it has to be close to us, preferably with his head on your foot. But then, oh boy, out comes the dreaded compressor and the brad nailer. The compressor pumping up just freaks him out. He starts to pant like he has run for 20 miles, and he just can't stay still. He just slinks around and trys to climb into your lap. As soon as someone puts in the first nail with the brad nailer he just picks it up a notch. Its like Nascar after a caution and the pace car leaves the track. Yesterday I let him climb onto me while I was laying on the swing. He promptly stuck his head in my armpit trying to hide. He stayed there for about 2 minutes, realized he could still hear the nailer, jumped down, and continued his pacing. He will try to get under anything at this point, even if he doesn't fit. Oh, did I mention that this is a 75 lb. Golden Retriever, and not a lap dog. If you let him into the house he is almost as bad. He hides behind the living room chair and watches the doorway. With each bang of the nailer his ears twitch. If you stay inside with him you can calm him down, but it takes awhile. I should have taken pictures. If Johnny comes to work on the deck today, I will take some and post them. I know, I have never posted pics on my blog before, but Chris has, so I will get her to help me.
Anyway, its 6:30 a.m. and I want to shave before I go to church. See ya later.

8 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

You have a chicken dog and I have a Bantom Rooster dog.
If Griffin hears a noise outside, no matter what it is he runs at the fence growling. If he can see that the noise is indeed on the outside of our yard, he starts running back and forth barking his fool head off. Griffin is a Golden Retriever/White Shepherd. He also weighs about 75 pounds, but is tall and thin. He is 2 years old and not nearly as smart as our old dog, Katy, but he is a pretty good dog.

8:09 AM  
Blogger John said...

Its not that he is a chicken dog. He is just scared of the compressor, the nailer and the stapler. Oh, he also doesn't like the fly swat. If you pick up the fly swatter he will immedialtely try to take it out of your hand.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

"Its like Nascar after a caution and the pace car leaves the track."

LOL. Nice simile.

1:08 PM  
Blogger footsack said...

I have had a few goldens in the past and find they were all scared of loud sharp noises. Parker was 95 pounds and terrified of thunder (as were the others) and a pellet gun. At least mine were outside dogs :)
Mighty nice of your boys to come and close in that deck of yours. I'm sure you will enjoy many nice summer nights out there. Did you know that in less than a month, the days start getting shorter again? Is that not the most depressing thing you've heard? Sure is to me.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Trav said...

my dog is just the opposite... she just lays there... and then when someone gets close she licks... so... if someone were to break in, she'd lick them to death, or else show them where the good stuff is

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just looked at your new outdoor space on Chris' blog and since it won't let me comment, I thought I would do it here.
Wow!!! \o/
It is wonderful that your kids blessed you in this way.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to leave a handle (name) on the last post. M.K.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home