Thursday, November 23, 2006

Untitled

The other day while getting a pair of pants out of my closet to go to work, I ran across a pair of jeans that I hadn't wore in a while and shortly after getting to work I remembered why. The cold got to me and I had to go to the washroom. By the time I got all those buttons undone, it was almost a wasted effort. Who was the dipstick that thought we should put a closure devise on jeans that would take 5 minutes to undo. What an awful pair of pants. As I get older and my bladder loses more of its power to resist the urge to go, I think I will just go to wearing suspenders and never do up the buttons. That way I will never have an accident. Some of you who see me a little more often might want to start praying for the quick demise of these jeans, if you don't want to see me walking around with my pants wide open.
On to another topic.
Chris and I have taken to shopping at Safeway. Not only because they actually have stuff on the shelves, or a really nice bakery, but also because of, you guessed it, airmiles. If you watch the flyer's, and coupons, you can really rack up the airmiles fast. The other day I dropped Chris off while I went and gave the car a quick wash. When I got back, there she was with a few groceries in the cart and her coupons clutched firmly in her hand, checking yet another product before she dropped it in the cart. Regardless of the coupons, she always checks out calories, fat levels and stuff like that. When I got there she asked if I would take a coupon and go find this or that and away I would go. Oh wow, if I get three Right Guards, I get 15 airmiles. Hey, no problem, I will eventually use them. I sweat.I would then go running back to Chris and the cart, and she would give me another coupon, send me off on another hunt while visions of sand and surf, or maybe rocks with huge crashing waves danced in my head. Oh we were going to have so much fun. Who said I hated grocery shopping. We were on a mission. When we got to the till Chris did the final dig in her pocket and came up with the big one. 100 bonus miles if you spent $250.00 or more. We grinned at each other like a pair of kids. Did they know how many airmiles we were going to get? Were they serious about this? Then the hammer fell, she mentioned the date, and instantly my thoughts of crashing waves were gone. Replaced with the vision of a flight attendant laughing and saying, "You want to go where? Not with those airmiles buddy, maybe you can go to Regina, har, har, har" The coupons had expired the day before. There would be no 10 Kraft products in my cupboard, or 3 Right Guards in my medicine cabinet in the washroom. Worst of all, no sand and surf. I was so choked I wanted to just leave everything right there and walk away. But Chris said "no, we still need a lot of these grocery's" She walked around the store putting stuff back in the shelves, so I went and helped. Although what I wanted to do was put it all in the frozen foods section. Wouldn't they be surprised when they found frozen Right Guard next to High Liner fish sticks. Serve them right for not posting the date right at the door when you walk in. So we went home with only a small portion of the grocery's we were going to get and a small portion of the airmiles we were going to get as well. When I got home I took the proper Safeway flyer and threw it in the garbage. Don't be looking for vacation pics on this site anytime soon.

16 Comments:

Blogger Smarmy Boss said...

You don't know me, but I wanted to say.

"Best post ever!"

Except the part about having a good bakery. Its only good if the place you are comparing it to has no bakery whatsoever.

Leaving it in the freezer section...

8:59 PM  
Blogger Smarmy Boss said...

Oh and one more thing.

The first Tuesday of the month is 10% or quadruple your airmiles day at Safeway.

Your dream of beaches and surf is still a possibility.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I wish I could shop at Safeway instead of Stupidstore.

Also... You really went nuts on the net tonite hey? Comments everywhere I go and a new post? Craziness.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My mom is the airmiles queen. She racks up almost 1000 airmiles EVERY MONTH. I've gotten really into it too since we moved in with her...and since I used all my airmiles for Mike's plane ticket. I've already earned back almost a third of what I gave Mike. At this rate I'll have enough to fly him next year too.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Toad said...

HMMM AIRMILES YOU SAY? I THINK I HAVE 10. I CAN'T EVEN MAKE IT TO MARTENSVILLE. I WILL HAVE TO STICK TO RUNNING EVERYWHERE.

10:05 AM  
Blogger footsack said...

John the way to go is to get yourself an airmiles credit card. That way you pay EVERYTHING with your credit card no matter where you shop. You can then get airmiles at McDonalds if you want. Then at the end of the month, you only have one big bill to pay and VOILA!! tons of airmiles.
That is what I am doing.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I have the airmiles card also. There is no Safeway here to be able to rack up some airmiles. But I can use it at the gas station, and I am pretty sure my vehicle will take close to a $250 fill, especially when gas was over $l per litre.

12:04 PM  
Blogger John said...

I use my Canadian Tire card, that way every purchase gives me Canadian Tire money. Last year I had enough to pay for half of my canoe.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I was going to do a post about airmiles. I was so excited to be able to fly Cindi and Chloe home for a visit. There was a seat sale on $234.00 round trip. So for 810 airmiles I could see my favorite toddler for my birthday. I called westjet and booked the flights. At the end of the conversation thier representative ask me for my credit card # for the remaining $130.00 owing on the flight. I know that you have to pay all the taxes and surcharges, which was $83.00. I asked him where the extra $50.00 comes in. It's a little surprise from Westjet. They don't show their fuel tax as such, it's added into thier base price. So beware when you think you have reached your destination of sun & surf you better have some room on your credit card for the extras. I was so mad, but wanted to see my girls so I gave him my credit card # and had a wonderful birthday.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't stand it when people put things in the frozen aisle when it shouldn't be there. They pick it up, decide they don't want it, and then just stash it anywhere they can. So you end up with frozen eggs and a pair of pants with the popsicles. I hate it.

I also hate it when the stuff on the shelves is crooked, I automatically want to straighten. I should never have worked at Wal-Mart.

Sorry that your day didn't go as planned. That's why I never use coupons. That way I'm not disappointed. My mission grocery shopping is to get the stuff and leave.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Hey Carrie... Once while shopping at Walmart I found an opened and empty pregnancy test box. I gave it to a clerk and she said they find them all the time. (I guess cause they are so expensive and a hot item with the teens?) The clerk said they find empty packaging all the time. What's the weirdest thing you ever found opened at Walmart?

12:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Becky, I didn't find a whole lot myself, because I was a cashier. It did happen a lot, though. And we sure did find a LOT of empty condom boxes. Or some people would just take one out of a package, and then maybe justify it to themselves, because they didn't take the whole thing. Like take two hair clips out of the package of 10.

This isn't really the same, but I once had a lady tell me she wasn't going to buy the huge chocolate bar she ate half of because I couldn't scan it as she destroyed the UPC code on the wrapper trying to open the thing. This was before she was throwing a fit at the security guy following her around to ensure she was going to pay for said chocolate bar, and then, when I'm ringing in their stuff, yelling at me saying, "You know, it's not right, that guy following us around. If I wasn't on welfare and my sister wasn't in the hospital and needing some of this stuff right now, I would have just left. It's not right. But you know, I'm on welfare..." Boy, I've got tons more stories, you sure meet some interesting characters working at Wal-Mart.

1:09 AM  
Blogger John said...

Quit visiting on my blog. I spend a lot of time making sure that it is interesting, enlightning and full of useful information. I don't keep it up to the standards you guys expect from me, just so you can come here and visit. Becky and Carrie.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if the Safeway here is the same as the one in the states, but my goodness, do they have incredible deli sandwiches. You've never had a deli sandwich like this, and huge, and way cheaper than Subway. I used to get them and go to the beach in Hawaii, because they were actually affordable. You should check it out. And when you buy ten, you get the next one free!
I leave things all over the stores. I'm a jerk. Peter usually picks up after me and runs it back to its rightful spot.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you want, you can come talk to someone on my blog, Uncle John. Or yourself, that's always fun, too. I'm visiting with you now, does it make you feel better? :D

12:43 PM  
Blogger John said...

You know Carrie, if I close my eyes, I can almost see an evil little grin on your face as you wrote that comment. I like you.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home